Are you thinking of starting a blog to share your thoughts on a topic that you love?
Great, that’s awesome. Blogging is a powerful way to promote your business or profession, and it’s also the best way to make money online. Your problem now is that you don’t know how to start a blog, right?
Don’t worry, starting a blog is very easy, now you can create a blog by yourself in less than 30 minutes, no experience necessary. Everything you need is using some simple tools to help you get started.
What Tools Do You Need to Start a Blog?
Although you can start a blog completely free, but if you want to build a professional blog, you need to have full control your blog. It also helps you significantly increase the trust on both readers and search engine’s eyes. A free blog is only suitable for personal or non-profit blogs. So, here is what you need to start a blog that matters:
- Domain Name: It is the web address or URL that you type into your web browser to navigate to a web page. It’s the first thing that people remember about a site like remembering the name of a person. Choosing a domain name is important like naming your son.
- Web Hosting: It’s like your piece of land to build your house on the web. It is a place to store all of your blog databases, of course, hosting is very important.
- Blog Platform: It’s like software which supports the authoring, editing, and publishing of blog posts and comments, with special functions for image, post and comment management.
After you’ve got both the domain name and web hosting service set up, which should take you no more than 15 minutes, it’s time to setting up your blog. In this guide on how to start a blog, I will use the ever-popular blog platform called WordPress.
So, are you ready to making your blog today? Then let’s start.
How to Start a Blog: Your Step by Step Guide
To make it simple and easy to you, in this guide on how to start a blog, I’m going to begin at the very basic to help you start your first blog, step by step.
Step 1 to Start a Blog: Register a Domain Name
The first step for getting started is registering a domain name. This is incredibly easy and can be done in less than 5 minutes. However, there are some things to keep in mine before you rush out and purchase a domain name. This is especially true if you plan to monetize your blog.
When it comes to pick which site to use to register a domain name, there are many options available. However, the two most popular registrars are Godaddy and Namecheap. We personally recommend you go to Godaddy.com to buy a domain because of an advantage that Godaddy has over Namecheap is that more people use it (as we did all times).
Notes: By clicking on the button above to register a domain name at Godaddy, you can purchase a .COM domain for only $7.99/year instead of $12/year as regular price.
Step 2 to Start a Blog: Signup a Hosting Package
As you already know, hosting is one of two things you need to have when you want to start a professional blog (after domain name). It is a factor affecting the development and evaluation of readers about your blog in the future.
You know, moving from one web host to another is a nightmare experience so you need to pick your web host carefully.
We have used several web hosting providers, but eventually we found that Hostgator is the cost-effective and most reliable hosting provider. We have been using Hostgator for many years and now all of our websites are hosted on their servers.
Hostgator’s customer support is available online 24/7. You can talk with them about your issue any time you need, and any problem you have will be solved very quickly. Their service is designed for everyone. All of their hosting plans include a 99.9% up-time guarantee, 24/7 customer and technical support and 45-day money back guarantee. You can get your blog up and run in a few minutes with a hosting package for as low as $3.96/mo.
Notes: If you sign up hosting with Hostgator, so don’t forget to use coupon code STARTINGABLOG25OFF to get 25% discount OFF.
Step 3 to Start a Blog: Install Your WordPress Blog
Once you have both your domain name and hosting package, now you have one thing to do is pointing your domain name to your web host. This is the most technical part of the entire process, but it’s actually fairly simple. just follow the steps below to easy do what you have to do.
First, you need to know about your hosting name servers. When you sign up for hosting with Hostgator, you’ll get an email that gives you all of your hosting details, including your name servers. It will look something like this:
Now, you have to go back to Godaddy, and follow these steps:
- Log into your Godaddy account.
- Put your mouse over the All Products -> Domain -> Domain Management.
- Click on your domain name.
- Click on “Set NameServers”.
- Select “I have specific nameservers for my domains”.
- Paste your DNS details into 2 of the spaces provided (as an Ex. above).
- Click OK to confirm.
That’s it, your domain name is now linked to your web host (note that the change might take some time to become effective) and you can install your blog.
Install Your WordPress Blog with Hosting Cpanel
WordPress is a open source content management system (CMS), often used as a blogging applications, supported by PHP and MySQL. It has many features Including plug-ins and themes. WordPress is the most popular CMS that over 22% websites (and blog) on the internet is using it.
Now you can start a blog like as 1, 2, 3 by using WordPress. And installing WordPress is very easy because most of the web hosting providers have automatic installation scripts for customers called Fantastico DeLuxe.
Here is your step by step guide to install WordPress using Fantastico DeLuxe.
Step by Step Guide to Install WordPress with Screenshot
1. Log into your Web Hosting Control Panel (cPanel)
2. Scroll down and click on Fantastico Deluxe
3. Click on WordPress
4. Click New Installation
5. Enter the necessary information and click Install WordPress
6. Click Finish Installation.
7. Here you will see the WordPress Installation details:
That’s all, and congratulations, you have just started a blog, now you can Login to your WordPress blog by going to www.yourblogdomain.com/wp-admin.
Step 4 to Start a Blog: Install a Nice Theme and Necessary Plugins
Your blog has been set up, and now it has everything it needs for you to start blogging. But, as a pro blogger always did when he starts his blog, you have to do these things. That’s installing a new WordPress theme and necessary plugins.
Install a new WP theme? Why?
Let’s face it, the default design that comes with WordPress is pretty simple. So, if you want your blog to stand out, you have to get a nice design.
The design is the first thing that makes your readers pay attention on your blog. If you have a great design, you will attract more readers, make them more trusted on what you talking on your blog, and of course, it will help you get many more loyal readers.
To get a nice WordPress design, we generally use 2 sites for getting WordPress themes. Those sites are Elegant Themes and Studiopress. They are the best premium WordPress themes providers, all themes come with premium features and those two companies offer AMAZING features and support.
Step 5 to Start a Blog: Basic Setup For A New WordPress Blog
After you have installed your WordPress blog, there are some essential steps that you need take. Although not every WP blog will be the same but there are a few basic things that we feel should be done no matter of what kind of blog you’re building.
Here are those steps you should follow after installing a new WordPress blog:
1. Change Permalink Structure: Go to Settings >> Permalinks and change the permalink to Post Name (/%postname%/). This structure not only is a good idea for SEO but it also tell your visitors something about the link they’re visiting.
2. Update Your Ping List: Go to Settings >> Writing and scroll down to Update Services then copy and paste the following list below to the box. By adding the ping list in your Update Services box, it will be notified to the ping services whenever you add new content to your blog. It helps your blog be indexed faster (you can get the Ping List here or using Ping List Pro).
3. Update Your Profile: Go to Users >> Your Profiles and then fill out all information about you, add your website, Google plus and Author box.
Finally, Start Blogging
Wow, that’s everything you should do to start a professional blog, now you can go back to your blog admin panel and start blogging.
If you have any question about how to start a blog, feel free to ask me your questions on the comment form bellow, I’ll answer you as soon as possible.